Friday, July 13, 2012

I Heart Summer


I have been meaning to write this post for a while. So much has been going on in the last couple of months that I really haven't made time to blog. I do miss it. And more often than not, if I don't write an entry as soon as I've done something, I probably never will. Or I'll end up months later, on a Friday night, sitting at my computer typing up a post. Like, say, tonight. But hey, it's been a busy summer, so I'll take whatever down time I can get.


Squeezing a water-filled glove to help with the circulation
On May 17th, I was finally able to donate blood (my hemoglobin levels were 134 this time!). The procedure was easy and took about an hour from start to finish -- normally it's shorter, but as it was my first time, they kept me back a little longer for observation post-donation. The snacks were yummy, I had good company, and I walked away super happy that I finally got to donate blood. If you can, give it a try. It's in you to give. 
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” 
― Anne Frank, diary of Anne Frank
I've reached the 56-day mark so I'll make an appointment again soon when my weight goes up. Speaking of weight...

I started Insanity  on April 16th. It's supposed to be 4 weeks training 1 week of recovery (I did 2 wks), then 4 weeks Max training. So I basically did 5-6 days of workouts for 2.5 months. Let me tell you, before April, I. Did. Not. Work. Out. I have been blessed with an awesome metabolism thus far, but I wanted to do Insanity to build up some cardio before Spartan Race. I've never been the type to stick to a dedicated workout plan, but I was determined to see Insanity through until the end, even after my workout partner quit in the first month. The first 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks were the hardest; the first 2 because I was hurting majorly and I struggled with sticking to a daily workout schedule. The last 2 weeks were hard because I was so close to race day and the videos were becoming really tedious. I'd be lying if I said I didn't slack a bit in the last 2-3 weeks.
I am happy with the results, though. I'm sure I could have gotten better results if I actually watched what I ate, but I've never been one to stick to a diet or watch what I eat. I eat what I want to eat, when I want to. Even if that means eating instant noodles at 2 a.m. That being said, I did try to limit eating out, incorporate more veggies into my diet, cut out white rice almost entirely. Here are some before and after pictures. I don't know if I'm ready for P90X yet, but my plan is to do Insanity again, or work exclusively on abs..(I've had "get a 6-pack" on my new year's resolution list since I was in high school).

"Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do."
Pre-race. Still clean.
Spartans! Aroo!
 I also did Spartan Race in Toronto this year! I don't think I'll do it again next year, as I found it was more running than obstacles (as was Warrior Dash last year), but it was still muddy and fun. Poorly disorganized though, and we spent more time lining up to get our bags back than we did running the race. Oh well. And next time, I'll remember to actually train myself to run...Insanity was soooo not enough, hahaha. Watch the epic Spartan Race Toronto promo here

On June 12, I met up with an old friend, W, and he surprised me by taking me to Xtreme Couture for a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class. Now, BJJ was never on my bucket list, but I had chosen "Compete, play, destroy" as our activity for the evening and I must admit that W chose quite appropriately. I'll admit that I was a bit hesitant at first. It was definitely out of my comfort zone. While the open mat class didn't offer much instruction, especially for beginners like us, I still had a fun time pushing W around and pretending like I would actually have a chance in a one-on-one situation, haha. The next morning, I woke up sore, but totally pumped. For the next few days, I spent a considerable amout of time researching MMA gyms and muay thai classes. But alas, as time went on, my fears and insecurities crept up on me and I lost whatever confidence I had garnered from being thrown into an open BJJ class. Looking at my bucket list, I realize that most of the items, with the exception of one or two (i.e. joining a paintball team) aren't really out of my comfort zone. They are all things I would be willing to do on my own. But sometimes you need that extra little push to realize what you're missing out on, and what you're really capable of. Thanks, W -- if it weren't for you, I never would have even dreamed of jumping into a BJJ class. New addition to my bucket list: Take a BJJ/Sanshou/Muay Thai class.

Not-so-little sis and I
 And a small plug for KT Tape. It. Is. Amazing. A tad expensive, considering how much I go through it (I always take it off after a day of beach volleyball because it gets so sandy and dirty), but it is single-handedly the only reason I've been able to pick up a volleyball this summer at all. Nearly every weekend since Victoria Day, I've gone to Woodbine beach to play beach volleyball. I used to hate volleyball, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've played it in the last five years, if only because I couldn't bump the ball without my wrists ballooning, or have aches in my wrists from hitting/volleying/serving the ball (though my skills, or lack thereof are another story entirely). But ever since I've started using KT Tape on my wrists, I've had no pain. I do have to get neutral colours for when I'm at work though, as bright pink doesn't exactly look very professional in the courtroom =P But I'm hoping that with constant use, it will help ease my carpal tunnel symptoms. Shopper's Drug Mart should be selling them, but I haven't had any luck so far. If you can find it in Canada, let me know!


Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do, and you've done it.
Margaret Thatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment